Friday 7 November 2008

is there a Theologian on board ??

by Raja Chemayel









Is there a Theologian on board ???




Do you remember that Egyptian baby

who was found in a basket , down by the Nile ??

His is name was Moussa ,

otherwise known as Moses.......Moiise or Moshe....


He left very dramatically Egypt in the direction of Palestine

while saying : " let my people go "

and "his" people followed him........eastwards towards Palestine

it took him 40 years to cross about 300 kilometres....

do not ask me why....I am not a theologian !! ,

my father was a theologian but he died 23 years ago

and I forgot to ask him this precise question.


Back to Moussa and "his" people......


One day Moussa leaves "his" people in a valley

to go up on a Mountain to meditate

and to communicate with the Creator.


Moussa comes later back , down to his people ,

carrying with him , the TEN COMMANDMENTS.



But to his big surprise he finds that "his" people

were worshipping their Golden Calf.......while he was away.....


Moussa ,gets very angry and then he destroys this Golden Calf.....

and obliges "his" people to worship the only God

the one and only God........



You have probably hear this story , so many time....

but you surely have never heard the following questions :


If the people following Moses were those famous "chosen people"

how come they were worshipping the Golden Calf ??


How come that God would choose to protect ,

to rescue and to help a people who worshipped a Golden Calf...

and not obey and love the Almighty, himself ??


Why would the Creator rescue a people worshipping a Golden Calf

from the Pharaohs who worshipped Isis ,Osiris,Amon and Ra....?

what is the difference here ??

Was the Golden Calf superior to Isis ?



If the people following Moses were "God's only people"

or otherwise called the "chosen people" ,

then what does this Golden Calf would be doing among them??



This Golden Calf must have been brought along with them from Egypt

because it is unthinkable that during their desert-crossing

they could make one , from Gold (or even from plastic) .....

nor to buy one at the nearest supermarket ...



I do not claim giving any answer here and now....

I simply put in doubt the term "chosen-people"

in general and peculiarly in this above case .



I do not mind anyone calling himself "chosen"

if and when he can prove why , or if he can justify it

by telling me why I would not be also "chosen"....

a matter of self-pride , or jealousy from my side !!



How could we believe that our Creator

"rescued" those people from the Pharaonic-enslavement

when they worshipped a Golden Calf ??? and not him .

And allegedly, he also allowed them killing and robbing the Egyptians

who were as much "non-believers" as they , themselves , were ?? .



Were they simply slaves who made an escape

or an uprising to liberate themselves and run

away taking refuge in the land of the Philistines ?? ,

regardless which divinity they venerated at that time

but in this case , we could not call them "chosen" anymore....!!



And finally why would the Creator chose, or pre-select anyone

when Jesus never selected nor preferred anyone above the others.


The Prophet Mohammad also never differentiated between the believers,

and he even forbid it for the Muslims to discriminate.



As I said it before ,

I shall not present my answers ,

but provoke yours...............



Raja Chemayel

if I were "chosen ", I would ask myself, why ? first...!


25Th. of October 2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm newbie here, I hope to get friends at this forum