Saturday 11 December 2010

Gilad Atzmon: Once again I salute Dr Hajo Meyer

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 at 11:14PM Gilad Atzmon

Last week I posted a very well-made video featuring Dr Hajo Meyer. I allowed myself to offer a light criticism of Meyer who suggested that “Jews were pioneers of inter-human ethics”
I wrote:
“Though I agree and support Meyer’s stand against Israel I also think that Meyer may be slightly wrong.

The Old Testament certainly contains some isolated patches of ethical insights. However, the vast majority of Jewish teaching, the Jewish Bible and the Talmud are anti humanist, non ethical, racially supremacist and tribally orientated.”
It didn’t take long before some people out there found my criticism offensive and inappropriate. As we all know truth is 'offensive'. But then, pretty much out of the blue Dr Meyer appeared on my mail box.

In the most respected and amicable manner he wrote:
Your criticism of my text is correct.
I now know that Rabbi Hillel’s golden rule was actually formulated
500 years earlier by Confucius.
Besides, modern ethnology has shown that empathy is evolutionary determined.
This makes the Israeli crimes look worse.
Best regards
Hajo
(Dr Meyer gave his permission to publish this email)

It is indeed refreshing to come across a person like Meyer, a man who is driven by ethics and intellectual integrity. I salute the man and admire his courage.

No comments: